Are you a coffee lover? If so, then you’ve probably heard of Robusta Coffee beans. This popular coffee bean is renowned for its smooth and strong character, which packs a punch in your morning cup. But what makes it so special compared to regular Arabica or other alternative blends?
In this blog post, we will explore the unique characteristics of Robusta coffee and why you should give it a try.
Which is The Best Coffee: Arabica or Robusta?
Coffee lovers around the world may be familiar with the terms "Arabica" and "Robusta" when it comes to coffee beans. But not many people know the difference between these two types of beans.
Arabica coffee beans are known for their delicate and complex flavours, with notes of fruit, berries, and chocolate. They are mostly grown at higher altitudes and require specific weather conditions to develop their full flavour.
On the other hand, Robusta beans are known for their bold and intense flavour, with notes of burnt wood and earth. They are easier to grow and are usually cheaper, but they contain more caffeine and have a bitter taste.
Understanding the difference between these two coffee bean types will help you make the right choice for your morning cup.
The Flavour Profiles of Robusta Coffee
Compared to Arabica, Robusta often gets overlooked thanks to its reputation for being bitter and harsh, but don't let that scare you off. Robusta, when roasted and brewed properly, can offer a unique and complex flavour profile that's worth exploring. With its strong body and earthy notes, Robusta can hold its own in blends and stand out on its own.
Similar to single origin wine, single origin robusta coffee contains unique flavours from the soil in which it's grown in addition to the bold and nutty flavour notes found in the beans. Try experimenting with different roasts and brewing methods to get the most out of your Robusta coffee pods or beans.
The Benefits of Robusta Coffee
Robusta Coffee is a great option for those who enjoy strong and intense flavours in their coffee. A few of its benefits include:
- Higher caffeine content: Robusta coffee beans have double the amount of caffeine in comparison to Arabica beans, which makes it perfect for a morning cup and gives you an extra boost of energy.
- More intense flavour: Robusta coffee has a strong and bitter taste that many coffee lovers enjoy. It also has notes of burnt wood and earth, making it a unique and flavorful blend.
- More affordable: Robusta coffee beans are more affordable than Arabica due to their easier growing process. This makes it an ideal option for those who want to enjoy rich coffee without breaking the bank!
- Robusta coffee beans are more resistant to pests and diseases due to their thicker outer layer, which makes them easier to grow and less susceptible to damage.
- Robusta coffee is often used for espresso-based drinks as it typically produces a better crema (the creamy top found on an espresso shot), providing a smooth and full-bodied taste.
The Health Benefits of Robusta Coffee
Robusta coffee may not only provide a much-needed jolt in the morning but also some potential health benefits. Studies have suggested that Robusta coffee may help with weight loss, diabetes management, and liver function.
Additionally, the high levels of antioxidants found in Robusta coffee could potentially lower the risk of certain diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer's. So, the next time you reach for a cup of coffee, consider giving Robusta a try and reaping the potential health benefits along with the bold flavour.
How to Brew Robusta Coffee
As already mentioned, Robusta coffee is known for its bold and intense flavour, so you'll want to take extra care when brewing it. Here are a few tips:
- Choose the right grind level: Robusta beans tend to have a higher caffeine content, so you'll need to use a coarser grind. This will help avoid over-extraction and bitterness in your cup.
- Lower the water temperature: Robusta coffee beans are typically more delicate, so you'll want to use a lower water temperature. This will help bring out the flavours without over-extracting them.
- Use an espresso machine: If you have an espresso machine, you'll likely get the best flavour from Robusta beans. An espresso machine can extract more of the flavours and aromas in Robusta compared to other brewing methods.
Robusta coffee is a great option for those who prefer strong and intense flavours in their morning cup. While it's more affordable than Arabica, it still offers some unique flavour notes and health benefits. With its bold body and earthy notes, Robusta can hold its own in blends or stand out on its own.
So, if you're looking for a strong and flavorful cup of coffee in the morning, Robusta might just be the perfect choice.
Try Rave Coffee today!
If you’re looking to get the most out of your cup of Robusta coffee, look no further than Rave Coffee. Our beans are carefully selected from small-scale family farms and are freshly roasted for each order.
Best Robusta coffee beans
Why not try our Italian Job Blend No.2? With its splash of premium Robusta, the result is coffee that punches through milk and offers a welcome kick of caffeine!